Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Ready for bed...

We arrived at Boston Children's today 50 minutes late for our 1oclock admission for the ketogenic diet inpatient stay. I think I will arrive late on purpose next time because we didn't get a room until 5pm. Izabelle enjoyed at least two hours on the playground and made new friends as did I.
Izabelle had her first 'egg nog' or keto shake around 6. She loved it. I kept telling her it was just like mommies frappes.
The worst part came when we had to wait until 9:30pm for Izabelle's meds to arrive. Izabelle's medications have to be in dry form now instead of suspensions due to carbs. Our nurse and I thought we would try mixing the medication in fruit 2 o because we didn't have access to a scale for mixing it with apple sauce and butter as the dietitian noted. Izabelle was out of sorts, overtired and when she realized how bitter the medication was she spat it all over us. Our nurse looked mortified as she knew how long it would take to re order the medications. Looking back at it, the mixture must have tasted disgusting in that consentrated form. Luckily the doctor allowed me to use the meds I had on hand and we had success with an unmeasured amount of applesauce. Tomorrow's a new day. She's in bed now and I'll be soon after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment