Sunday, February 9, 2014

Mamabear to the rescue!

This quote is so true but I'd like you to try a fifteen minute seizure. That's what Izabelle had on Thursday morning. It was the 'lucid dreaming' type again. We woke up, used the bathroom then started the morning before school routine. I knew something was off. Call it Mama's intuition but I could see it in Izabelle's eyes. I handed Izabelle a granola bar and that's when it happened. Her eyes became fully dilated and she was in a daze. Izabelle was able to motion for me to unwrap the granola bar, nod that she wanted milk but as she walked around the kitchen her body was arched forward and she was moving slowly as she wandered. With this type of seizure Izabelle is aware of her surrounding as she seizes. She looses some control of her motor and language functions. It's as if she is stuck in another place for a while. This time the seizure went on for ten then fifteen minutes…
I just wanted it to be over!
I wanted my daughter back!
It was this morning that I decided that I no longer trusted my daughter to do anything alone (while going through med changes)… especially at school.
I was just picturing her seizing alone on the playground without anyone to keep her safe, walking the school halls not knowing where to go… sitting in the bathroom...seizing without help. This seems to be the pattern when Izabelle changes meds. She seizes more before her body adjusts…that is if it adjusts. Most of the time we have to wait three weeks to see if the medication is viable.
I stormed into school that morning (where I work), marched down the hall to the special education room and waited for Izabelle's special ed teacher to make a plan for how my daughter was going to stay safe at school. Ideas of Izabelle acquiring a 'one on one' aide at school have been on the peripheral but as the special ed teacher and I spoke… I realized that it was time. It was time to DEMAND the special services my child needed… and now! Of course it seemed like everyone was out of the building sick that day…including our favorite education technician but somehow between the special ed. team and the regular classroom teacher we came up with a temporary plan to keep Izabelle safe at school. We started the process of setting up Izabelle's IEP meeting for the following week.
I am blessed that the educational coordinator from the New England Epilepsy Foundation, Kristine Bennett will be at the meeting with me to make sure that this educational plan will fit the needs of my child and her very unique needs as an epileptic. Yes… I proudly call myself MamaBear… It's my job to stand up for my child's right to be safe and to access school/her environment in a way that meets her individual needs both medically and educationally…Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment