Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Updating the seizure plan at school

Here is the information that I have forwarded to the school nurse to be included in Izabelle's seizure plan:

Izabelle has three types of seizures. They are all labeled as complex partial seizures by her Boston Neurology Team. I will know more at the end of January when their report is complete. If possible, these are the seizure types that I would like staff to look out for:

Complex Partial with Clinical Signs
The most common and most identifiable seizure that Izabelle has last for 25-35 seconds. It is identified with a hands to face motion with a arch of the body forward. Repetitive sounds or noise making accompany this seizure. The onset of this seizure is quick and easy to miss. 

Complex Partial - Stare/stuck
The second most common and least identifiable seizure that Izabelle has may last for 25-35 seconds. It is only identifiable if Izabelle stops what she is doing and stares blankly. Her eyes seem to get more dilated as well. Izabelle is not able to answer questions or follow directives at this time. 

Complex Partial - Lucid Dreaming
The least common of Izabelle's seizures is when she is seizing as she goes about her task. She may be eating cereal or drawing but she gets stuck in the middle of the task. She cannot answer questions or follow directives at this time. She may also mutter sentences over and over that may or may not have to do with the current situation. She may wander and touch objects as she walks about the room in a dream-like state. This can last up to 10 minutes...

If any teacher or staff member suspects that Izabelle has had a seizure during school,  I would like the following to happen: 
- Call the office for back up. 
- I would like a staff member to stay with Izabelle until the seizure is over. I stand in a protective position to make sure she doesn't fall which hasn't happened to my knowledge. 
- I would like Izabelle to have at least 30 minutes of down time with close monitoring. This may be reading a book or drawing. 
- Call the nurse or myself to check if Izabelle is ok. 

Izabelle's seizures at this point do not follow with a postictal period with the current dosing of her medications. She seems to bounce right back to her regular day afterwards. 

I have also noticed, especially in the morning that Izabelle is very clumsy and more out of it. She is given almost all her medications before she goes to bed at night and I suspect this is the reason. 

It is amazing to me that last year this time when Izabelle was in Kindergarten that both the staff and I were mostly in the dark about what was going on with Izabelle during the school day. Even if Izabelle isn't a surgical candidate… I sure have learned a lot about my daughter's seizure types and what she needs. Onward!


No comments:

Post a Comment